"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings Made by my Dumplings!


It was a cold and rainy day. The kids could not go outside to play. So I put them to work making dinner.
My daughter who is a picky eater, has been talking about a friend who got chicken and dumpling soup from Cracker Barrel. She went their with a friends family for dinner and thought it looked good.
So this week when I saw someone pin a chicken and dumpling recipe and label it as "Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings" I thought I better have her make it. I couldn't say whether this is like their soup or not, since I have never actually eaten at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. But it was an easy enough recipe to try out anyway.
Here is a link to the original recipe and directions, They never mention Cracker Barrel though.
Pretty simple:


  • 2 cups Flour

  • ½ teaspoons Baking Powder

  • 1 pinch Salt

  • 2 Tablespoons Butter

  • 1 cup Milk, A Bit Less Than A Full Cup


  • Mix dry ingredients first, then cut in the butter so it mixes into a crumble texture, then mix in the milk.


    They mixed the dough, and rolled it out flat. 


    Big sister couldn't believe that little brother actually got his rolled thinner than she was able to.


    He took rolling very seriously and did a great job, he kept rolling and didn't give up until it was just right. He did it with NO help. Like I said, big sister was amazed! Mostly because she asked for help after a short time rolling.


    Then I gave the kids a pizza cutter to cut the dough into small rectangle dumplings.


    Some enjoyed the cutting a little too much. But some bigger and some smaller dumplings worked just fine.


    They boiled up nice in a pot of chicken broth and drippings from a chicken I cooked in the crock pot the night before for dinner. It was a great way to use the chicken leftovers as well.


    It was a hit with the kids, project wise, and dinner wise. It doesn't take long at all either. The original recipe says 30 minutes, but we added some time for dough play.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment