"You are so creative!" I have heard that phrase constantly since I was little. DIY, Refashioning, Crafting, Sewing, Woodworking. I love it all! Now I have a place to keep my favorite projects or ideas organized and share them with you!



Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Girls Leggings Out of a Women's Sweater.

Photobucket

Yep that's right those adorable striped green legging used to be a women's sweater. Plus they took less time to make than it took my husband to mow our yard!

I was cruising around a neat website called Instructables It is a website where people can enter their tutorials on how to make things. Some things are cool. Some things are just plain weird. I have not been to the site too much and find it hard to search for certain things. It is more the luck of the draw. Well I just happened to come across the instructable to make leggings out of a women's sweater by only sewing two seams.

Way too Cool! I had to try it. Didn't find it too hard. Coming soon will be a follow up post on how to make a matching hat, but my machine was acting up again tonight and I am not sure how to fix it now. (so bummed)

Photobucket Here is where I read the how to. You have to buy a membership to get all the details, but I got enough from it to know what I was doing.


So here is my starter sweater. $1 is what I paid for it. Our local thrift store has a clearance rack set up and since it is the middle of the summer this nice green stripped sweater was on it. Good thing too because green happens to be my girl's favorite color! Plus stripes on leggings are so the "in" thing right now.

Photobucket
So the first step is put the sweater on your child with one leg through the arm and using the neck of the sweater as the waist.

Photobucket
Find where your child's belly button hits and put a pin there.

Photobucket
Take off the sweater and draw or cut a straight line from the pin to the armpit area of the sweater. I ended up cutting the crotch a bit big big but it was way easy to sew it smaller. Not so easy to make it larger.

I took this piece and laid it on the other arm and trimmed off the other arm the same way.

Photobucket
Then take your two cut off sleeves and turn them inside out and pin the crotch seam together. This is seam number one in the project.

Seem number two is to make a waistband. You have to cut the collar off. Actually you cut a bit more than just the collar. I cut straight across the top once the crotch seem was sewn so it was a straight top. Then I rolled it down once and sewed it to make a place of the elastic to go thought.

Photobucket

There you have it. Still not perfect but my first try. I am happy!
Photobucket

My girl is happy too. She is really starting to like this modeling thing, so here is the photo shoot.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
She has to show off what she can do as well, while she is at it.

Photobucket
She called this her serious face.

2 comments: